RECIPE: HI WELL BLACKCURRANT JAM WITH CHIA SEED
-2tbsp chia seeds
-1 cup frozen berries-slightly defrosted
-1tsp Blackcurrant powder
-Juice of half a lemon
-1tsp honey or maple syrup
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, crushing berries slightly.
2. Adjust lemon juice and maple syrup to taste.
3. Leave for 1-2 hrs in the fridge to allow the seeds to absorb the liquid and thicken the jam.
4. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge and the jam will last about one week.
5. If you don’t think you will use it all up within a week, you could freeze the jam into ice cube trays for single use.
BENEFITS OF BLACKCURRANT JAM
Reported benefits around Blackcurrants having a positive impact on eye health and vision is not surprising due to earlier claims that WW11 fighter pilots in the British Royal Air Force (RAF) regularly consumed bilberry preserves because they enhanced their night vision. Blackcurrants contain similar compounds to bilberries but in higher levels. This led to international researchers investigating whether Blackcurrants do have a substantive effect on eyesight. They were excited to find out that Blackcurrants assist eyesight in several ways:
-Improve eyesight focus
-Help adapt eyes to darkness
-Improve blood circulation
-This is just the beginning for the humble berry and now further possible health benefits relating to Blackcurrant are being investigated including: Control of diabetes, Prevention of memory loss and slowing down the effects of ageing and disease.